Tuesday, January 12, 2010

All about diets (well, sort of)

Today I went grocery shopping in MidValley with Nic...and (sorta) started a diet. Decided to make the lazy man's decision and shop in Jusco's supermarket instead of Carrefour....while forgetting that I parked at the other end of the mall instead. Smart, aren't I?

Anyway, I wanted to try this lemon detox diet that my friend was talking about. Supposedly, its so effective that you can lose about a kilo a day. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one of the ingredients (either powdered Cayenne Pepper or Ground Ginger). Since I hate ginger, I was hunting high and low in Jusco for the @#$%@#$%^ (ahem) cayenne pepper. I wanted to give up and get fresh ginger (they didn't have the powdered version either), when I realised that I have no means of grinding it. Plus, the lemons I bought would have rotted by the time I managed to dry the damn thing enough to use it.

Instead, I bought Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. I would have included a link to their website, but I can't be bothered to wait for the damn thing to load (thank you P1 Wimax! You've changed my life...for the worse). Anyway, its supposed to help with weight loss too...something about inhibiting the production of fat and stimulating the burning of fat as fuel (which also means increasing your metabolism). As for the lemons, I'll just drink half a squeezed lemon with some water and a spoonful of maple syrup (which I already had from a previous pancake fetish..heheh) every morning until they run out.

So about half an hour before dinner today, I decided to give it a try. I put in about 2 tablespoons of the vinegar and 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup, then mixed it with some water before downing almost the whole thing in one long drink.

My first reaction came from my face. Sourrrrrrrrrrrr! >.<

 My second reaction came from my tummy. It started hurting like hell about 5 minutes later and became progressively worse.

So my darling decides to take a look at the recommended recipe (it was on the label of the Bragg's bottle). The instructions say:

Bragg Vinegar Health Drink
Delicious, ideal pick-me-up blah blah blah blah blah not important.
1 to 2 tsps Bragg Organic Vinegar....

Oopsie.  

"It was supposed to be TEAspoons, not TABLEspoons!", she screamed at me. (Ok, I over-dramatize. She didn't scream.) In any case, it serves me right for being careless. With stabbing stomach pains that tempt me to curl up into a whimpering fetal ball, I bravely steel myself from the pain and begin to slowly make my way to the computer to venture into the-ahem! Okay okay, I'm doing it again. Anyways, I go online and read up about how to properly take this stuff from here. What I get is, "Regular users recommend prepping your stomach by taking one teaspoon to start with and easing into more." Gee whiz, Louise, now you tell me. So the pains only ceased about a half hour to an hour after dinner...and I'm now drinking apple juice as I type this. As if I didn't have enough acid in my stomach to turn its entire contents to a bubbling green goo (like in those alien sci-fi movies except mine would be red cuz I had spaghetti for dinner). :P

Regardless, I refuse to take that as a bad omen to an otherwise good start to what seems to be a fairly easy to manage diet. (Its a good start because I actually managed to start it in the first place). I hate diets and never follow through with them because I really enjoy my food! If you've ever seen the way I eat (and I dont mean the quantity of food I consume) you might understand why. For all the naysayers out there, who are dying to scream Exercise! at me, save it for someone who gives a shit. I already know that regular exercise can promote significant weight loss, that muscle burns more calories than fat, blah blah blah and all that garbage. I could even give you tips on exercise techniques and healthy eating that doesn't involve paying thousands for a gym and a personal trainer. Who cares? I hate exercise, and I will not deny myself from enjoying my food, regardless if its something that costs RM1.00 from the neighborhood night market, or something that costs RM100 from the local fine dining restaurant (and I don't mean Chilli's, people!).

Hey, after all, we only live once. Why deny ourselves the pleasures of life? Of course, life would be much more pleasant if I could only fit into those pants again... XD

2 comments:

BlurCo said...

definitely in trouble. =.=

try herbalife. it really worked. my colleague is a sample. i'll start taking after cny. after all those yummy ba gua and yummy nga ku... ^^

Older, not much wiser. said...

Yecccchhhh herbalife again! Lagi so expensive...plus if u take tht one, if u don't eat then its fine. But if u eat then it makes u get fatter...! Wa em jai! >.<"

Post a Comment

Shout, shout, let it all out...