Saturday, February 13, 2010

I have finally caught up...

...with the rest of the tech-savvy community. What I mean is, I've finally got my lazy ass into gear and signed up for Twitter! This is quite a big thing for me, because like some people, I'm sorta afraid of things that I don't know about. I'm also too lazy to put in the effort and commitment it takes to learn something new. The worst part is kickstarting the entire learning process.

In any case, one fateful day in the office (where else? :P) I decided to get down to business, and signed up for my own account. One bad thing I've noticed about Twitter is that they do not do anything about inactive accounts until 18 months from the date of the last update. I mean like, these people are just camping there and yet their accounts still remain active for 1.5 years? Anyway, before I deviate further, I signed up and actually learnt how to use it pretty quickly. I was almost a pro by the end of the day, thanks to lots of practice with Lil Ms Thong and Big Cow. :P

The concept of the whole thing is surprisingly simple and efficient. To me its just like Facebook status updates, without the rest of the junk that comes with it. I mean, I can definately see the lure of 'sharing' those really exciting things that happen to us everyday, like, 'I just took a crap. Its sooooo smelly!', or 'I saw a guy digging his nose. He had the biggest booger ever!'.

However, the question remains. Do we really need to know when you went to the toilet, what you had for lunch or how many spatters of birdie-gifts you received when you parked under that big tree today?

And judging from the popularity of this application/website, I believe the answer is YES in triplicate. We seem to thrive on knowing the most useless things about not just our friends, but also people we hardly know. I've had total strangers sign up to follow me for no absolute reason. If they were following my blog, that would be fine because at least I have something semi-intelligent to say most of the time. However, why follow me on Twitter when the most intelligent thing I've said so far is "kemenyan smell + cabbage smell = fried luncheon meat smell. yummmm~! lol". I mean, seriously?

Regardless, Twitter continues to hold my attention, mainly because:
1) its still new (to me!)
2) I can access it from my office (yay!) and
3) the main purpose of its existence is to enable its users to 'stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent messages', which basically means that you are actually encouraged to 'share' the stupidest, most mundane parts of your life with everyone you are connected with on Twitter.

So the next time I'm stuck in a traffic jam, waiting in line at some predictably inefficient govt office, feel that I'm in a good, bad or weird mood, need to pee, smoke or take a crap....be prepared to hear about it! XD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shout, shout, let it all out...