Thursday, May 6, 2010

Penang – Part 2 – That Night

So after we had entered via the Penang Bridge, it was time to find our way to the hotel. Since we both hadn’t been to Penang in awhile, it was time to pull out our secret weapon…the Google Maps/GPS functionality in my phone. 

map

After locating our hotel, we slowly made our way to our destination. For those who are familiar with my usual style of driving, the only reason why I used the word ‘slowly’ is because by the time we crossed the bridge, it was already 5.30pm and it was jammed like hell. 

Anyways, we made it to the hotel without getting lost at all. Amazing how useful these GPS thingies turn out to be when you’re in a bind. However, I feel that without the crucial presence of a navigator, the GPS functions on a mobile phone can still be difficult to use because the screen is so damn smaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll!

After crashing at the hotel for a couple of hours (sorry no pics…totally forgot…again.), we met up with my aunt (who works in Penang) for dinner. She brought us to this typical roadside coffee shop just down the road from our hotel. The only stall I saw in the coffee shop was called All Right Western Food. It’s supposed to be quite a famous place for cheap and good western food. Maybe they got so popular they took over the whole place or somethin’.

DSC00159

Looking at the menu, I thought, ‘WOW. Cheap! But how good?’ So, after waiting for ages, we got tired of trying to catch the attention of one of the harried looking workers running around and Nic went up to the stall to place our orders. 

Our decisions were…

DSC00165
 All 3 types of soup. Oxtail, Spicy Mutton and Mushroom. My favourite of the night was the Spicy Mutton. (Top right)

DSC00166
 My Huge Grilled Lamb Loin…which wasn’t ‘lamb-y’ enough for me, but would suit those who like their lamb absolutely devoid of the natural lamb 'fragrance'. :P 

DSC00167
 Nic’s Turkey Ham Steak…which was just a slab of turkey ham with a pineapple ring on top. I still don’t see the attraction. 

DSC00168
 My aunt’s Chicken…something. I can’t remember. Boys and Girls, this is what happens when you procrastinate. Your brain gets eaten by a pack of rabid chihuahuas and you forget stuff.

DSC00162
 The drinks were cheap too…and delicious!

After dinner, we wanted to drive around and see the town a little, so with my aunt directing, we drove around in aimless circles around the business district. Once we were bored enough with that, we decided to go for a drink and ended up in Coffee Island along Gurney Drive. 

DSC00180

It was awesome. I would definitely go back the next time I'm in Penang. You could smell the sea breeze while sitting in a simulated beach environment with soft dance music playing in the background…perfect for conversation (to me, anyway). 

DSC00172
The decor was gorgeous too…

DSC00173
 …with lots of pretty neon and bright colored lights. 

Yes I am very ‘Ah Beng’ that way. XD

DSC00177
 The drinks were good too! I had something that tasted like Coffee Bean’s…whatchamacallit…Orange Sunrise? 

Once we were all talked out (actually it was after Nic almost fell asleep and I noticed my aunt’s eyes were redder than Satan’s butt), we decided to send my aunt home and head back to try out the bathtub get a good night’s sleep.

And so ends Part 2 of the (hopefully only) 3 part analogy of my trip up north.

Here’s a final pic for ya’ll to enjoy.

DSC00169

I think Nic just got a whiff of the ‘fresh’ sea breeze.
 hehehehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shout, shout, let it all out...