Sunday, May 16, 2010

Penang Again - Day 2 – The Quest for Food Begins

We left the hotel for a late lunch because I was feeling lazy and lounged around in bed for the better part of the afternoon. Because we were planning to meet up with my aunt for an early dinner, we headed to Segafredo’s on Burma Road which was about 2 minutes from the hotel for a quick lunch and some WiFi time.

I had a delectable Baked Rice with Fish which was on promotion for RM12.50 and Nic had a superb Antipasto Platter which consisted of smoked salmon, several thick cuts of ham, some salad, bread, crepe tuna rolls, cherry tomatoes and green olives.

DSC00437 A pretty good deal for RM25…and very nicely presented too!

After that, we met up with my aunt and she proceeded to guide us to Armenian Road/Lebuh Armenian, where we were to have dinner in a German restaurant that her friend owned.

After some wrong turns, we finally arrived in this quiet little back road with some quaint shops that have recently (I think) been granted the Heritage status.

DSC00454
DSC00441 There were even some quaint little cars to enhance the quaintness to the area. :P

Since we arrived a little too early and the shop wasn’t open yet, I decided to play tourist (for once!) and take photos of several of the surrounding shops.

DSC00442
DSC00443
DSC00444

DSC00448

There were several interestingly looking lots in the area too.
 
DSC00453
DSC00455
DSC00458
There were also some unique decorations along that street.

DSC00446
DSC00447
DSC00450
Heck, it even had a temple.

DSC00451
Or at least I think it’s a temple…

Anyway, by the time I’d finished my mini-exploration, it was time for dinner.
DSC00449
We were eating at the Edelweiss Cafe. Like in the Sound of Music.

*Sings ‘The hilllls are aliiiiveeee….with the Sound of Muuuuusicccc…*

DSC00460
Anyway, it had lots of delicious things on the menu.

DSC00459
DSC00461 Even airplanes.

Just kidding!

The food and drink were pretty good…most of it anyway.

DSC00470Nic and my aunt had Mango Lassi, RM12. They thought it was yummy. I thought it was…ick.

DSC00471 I had a ‘Jumble Jug’, RM12, which had strawberry ice cream in it. Mmmm…

My ultimate favourite of the night was the salad, RM22.

DSC00473It contained pomelo and mango and was totally worth it. Deeelish! 

As for our mains, Nic had the smoked pork belly, RM34.90.

DSC00479 Fat, fat, fat but reeeeally good. The stringy stuff in the middle were the mashed potatoes. We all thought it was some sort of mee or pasta at first. 

My aunt had the B52, RM36.50.

DSC00476Which was, a HUGE sausage with a salad and an omelette sized hash brown (which they called a Rosti). VERY good with mustard!

I had the pork ribs, RM34. Sadly, they were extremely tough and dry. 

DSC00474The barbecue sauce was also mixed with Worcestershire Sauce, which tasted a little weird to me. The fries and salad dressing were excellent though. 

We informed the Lady Boss of this, and she was very apologetic, even offering to make something else for me. However, I declined as by this time I had already struggled through 2 of the 4 ribs, and was starting to feel rather full. 

So instead, she provided us with a complimentary dessert. 

DSC00482 Chocolate brownie and the Edelweiss signature Movenpick ice cream. Which we had already started devouring by the time I remembered to pull out my camera to take this photo.

After the food was gone, I started exploring. The place was decorated with lots of antiques which ranged from interesting…

DSC00462
DSC00465 DSC00483
DSC00481
To unique…

DSC00488
DSC00489
DSC00492
To funny.

DSC00486
DSC00487
  Then it was time to move on to someplace else.

DSC00490
Unable to decide which new place to try next, I decided to revisit Coffee Island grab some new photos.

DSC00507
DSC00510
Which, of course, I had no problems in getting.

Anyway, we had more drinks, and even tried the garlic bread.

DSC00500My mango smoothie. Very refreshing.

DSC00506Nic’s flower tea. (I seriously don’t know how anyone can drink this stuff. Tastes like crap!)

DSC00502  Garlic bread anyone? It had actual partially cooked chopped garlic generously spread on it. Those who like their garlic raw or love spicy food would like this. I didn’t fancy it so much. 

After chit chatting for another hour or so, it was time to return to our love-nest and get some rest for the evening.

While I was trying yet again to get a hint of the free WiFi available in the business district of Penang, I saw this.

gayneighbour
LOL. I find that I’m liking Penang more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shout, shout, let it all out...